Saturday, March 24, 2012

Garage kit heritage.

 This is a Volks Mika F-02 MSD kit doll that I painted and put together. I wish I had a better camera that could catch the gradations in the coloring, because I'm especially pleased with the blushing I did on her face, which just isn't showing up well here. I may get Mr Photography, my husband Kevin, to use his Big Professional Complicated Camera with All the Intimidating Gadgets to get a better portrait shot. For now, however, here's my girl, sweet and simple.
She has a friendly and open little face, which is exactly what I was going for, and am really rather pleased with how she came out. I don't, in general, do dramatic or flashy face-ups. I prefer a more versatile face, one that could be set in any variety of costuming, character personae, or just tableux, like outdoor shots of hiking (which I personally hate, but you get the idea), sightseeing, or shopping, and be as cheerfully in place as any doll could be.

I don't think I've ever made up, or bought already painted, any dolls that I intended to be any particular character, with the notable exceptions of Cap'n Jack Harkness and my small Rapunzel collection. Even Martie, the catalyst for that collection, isn't really the character Rapunzel, she's just Martie. I tend to dive in, then see where my inspiration goes and who the doll wants to be.

That said, I don't really know yet who this girl wants to be, and I think I may just add some light freckles on her nose and cheeks and to bring out more of a personality.

6 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful face mama! Looks very sweet, and those awesome are freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean her eyes are freaking awesome? I agree, and when I popped them in her head, they just had the right *snap*.

      Thank you! *curtsies*

      Delete
    2. Yes, her eyes. No idea where the word went. Must have wandered off. o_O

      Delete
  2. She looks fabulous, and I agree about faceups. I want my doll to be able to wear a number of personas, in a number of settings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! If we get any sunshine today, I may be able to get a better shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's beautiful! And I absolutely love the eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts. I don't expect universal love but I do expect civil commentary. If you're a hater, don't play. Thanks!