Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lizzie's new summer dress.

As I said in the previous post, I made a dress especially for Elizabeth, and am pleased with how it turned out. I didn't have a pattern, I just used the doll's measurements and made it up as I went. It's hardly a complicated thing, just a couple of big rectangles, but I'm really pretty pleased with how it came out--enough so that I'm making another right now.




I'm beginning to think this girl is the doll I've been dreaming of since I was just a wee baby bean--beautiful face, lifelike, great big!, weighted, and customizable ( always wanted to switch up the hair on my dolls; I had more than a few dolly haircut disasters in the bottom of my toy pile). I am completely besotted. I waited so long for her (layaway, manufacturing, finishing, painting, slow boat from Korea....) that I was afraid I wouldn't want her anymore when she arrived and might even sell her on. As soon as the box was open, though--*ZING* and that was that. Now I'm selling a bunch of other dolls I'm not completely in love with, because I just don't seem to need them any more.

Don't worry, Martie's safe; I couldn't sell her even if I was starving. I have a list of "Never Sell These," and Martie is at the top. She Is Irreplaceable, in material terms as well as in my heart. N'aww.


7 comments:

  1. She is such a pretty doll. I was surprised at some of the dolls you put up on ebay, but now it makes sense. And fantastic job on the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm really ready to make some dolly sacrifices, too, because I grossly overindulged myself last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dress! Lizzie looks quite pleased with it! You are so clever to have crafted it without a pattern. I may take a closer look at the pix and see if I can plan a similar one for Ellowyne. Did you use actual buttonholes on the straps or snaps? Thanks, Charlie!

    Hugs,

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! It really is just two rectangles, one doubled over for the top and another for the skirt. The buttons are just deco, the straps are sewn right to the top and back, and tie at the shoulder. It closes in the back with snaps. Which me luck, I'm going to try to make pants later today.

      Delete

Please leave your thoughts. I don't expect universal love but I do expect civil commentary. If you're a hater, don't play. Thanks!