Sunday, January 20, 2013

Charlie's my name. Advising's my game.

I landed a full-time job! I'll be the undergraduate academic advisor at the University of Pittsburgh's highly-ranked School of Nursing, beginning Tuesday, January 22nd.

I could not be happier to have gotten this position. For the first thing, we need the money! But more importantly, I'm so happy to be starting this job. The staff I met at my interview were really nice, and sharp, and asked me interesting questions. The school is ranked #7 in the nation, and turns out top-notch nurses--some of whom, in years past, were my Student Support Services students before they transferred into Nursing. I'm also looking forward to working with students again, especially with a different population that will keep me on my toes. I'm actually excited about my first day! Imagine that!

I'm especially glad to have gotten this job despite the fact that I had only roughly 25% of my hearing on the day of the interview. I've mentioned that I've been ill for most of the autumn through to early winter, and over the Christmas holidays I got a middle ear infection that made the doctor say "Oh, my goodness!" when she looked into my ear canal (I took my husband with me to the doc's to be my hearing; I only caught about 3 words in ten). The left eardrum ruptured and the right ear was completely congested. I hoped like mad that the antibiotics would work in time for the interview, but....no.  I did tell everyone I met with that I had a ruptured eardrum, so they kindly spoke up and were very patient when I asked them to repeat themselves. I must have looked sufficiently serious throughout, because I was working so hard to hear what everyone was saying.

Now, for dolls Behaving Badly, this means Good Things. Martie is as excited to go to work as I am, and I'll expect a few office hijinks for her and her dolly siblings. I'll be out of the house, which can only be good for DBB and my photography (and the dolls). And, with a good steady job in these tough times, I'm just going to be a lot happier with the world.

So, huzzah! New adventures await!

Martie's ready! LET'S GO!


6 comments:

  1. Did she scalp someone to stash in her backpack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! No, she has two of her own tiny Rapunzel dolls in her backpack. ;D

      Delete
  2. Martie has her own doll she carries! Along with some other useful items. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! She's always got a dollar in there, too, so we're never utterly broke.

      Delete
  3. utt ohhh.. with cohorts what will she come up with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Martie looks so cute but then agin she always does!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts. I don't expect universal love but I do expect civil commentary. If you're a hater, don't play. Thanks!